Tuesday, 22 March 2011

They just don't make show like they use to!

Watching T.V. the other day and had to turn it off because it was full of reality tv rubbish; surely know one cares about watching other people cook and compete against other people cooking, surely know cares about watching fatties cry and moan and compete to be the biggest loser. I admit I will watch the finale to see how well they have done and I may even clap for some of them, but the journey has been made out to be too much drama. What happen to people making shows that are not about real people and fun to watch, not talking about How I meet your Mother, which never seems to actually happen, or Home and Away etc. I am talking about shows like MacGyver and Mash, sure at that age I didn't have hearings aids that actually allowed me to hear what was going on, and sure I didn't even understand the jokes anyway, but I enjoyed them. I am talking about seeing my Dad, who rarely cries (the only other times was when Grandpa died) openly weep at the last episode of Cheers.
Blog your favourite old show and tell us something worth watching.
Love you all and loving the Bogs, photos and comments
Wils


5 comments:

  1. I agree. Reality TV has gotten way out of control. It think it started with Survivor and has continued from there. It has also become a platform for old, fat, ugly, has-beens who are trying to find a way to pay off their debts,and/or trying to relive the days when people actually gave a damn about them. As for shows you mentioned, I thought they were ok, but I enjoyed the more recent sitcoms like The Simpsons, Frasier (spin-off from Cheers), Everybody Loves Raymond and 3rd Rock from the Sun. How about Alf? I realize my tastes aren't always the mainstream, but yeah sitcoms are dying off (good ones at least) and reality tv shows no signs of letting up. Too bad. At least we have SPORTS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still love watching the Cosby Show. A lot of the shows i loved were cancelled after just 2 seasons...e.g Pushing Daisies, Freaks and Geeks...Ugly Betty...ones that americans found OFFENSIVE! i guess it was because it was good quality tv...but they wanted to see REALITY! BORING!!! although i admit, i do like watching Biggest Fatty and Ugliest Top model.

    But i miss shows like Family Matters, Alf, Friends...etc. Oh F.Y.I i saw the Boxset of Alf at the Warehouse for like $40. Would be fun to watch that again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the first 2 seasons of Alf on DVD, but I'm looking for the other 4 seasons (at a reasonable price of course), first 10 seasons of Simpsons (plus 13th), all seasons of 3rd Rock from the Sun, first 2 of Monk, 1st of The Nanny, first 3 of 24. I guess that was my taste. I love the Cosbys and Family Matters too. Also, I loved watching All In The Family. It was a bit before our time, but I watched it on the "Nick at Nite" channel in America and it was such a crack up. I'm a fan of some British shows too. Not the crappy hospital and police shows Craig watches, but Last of the Summer Wine, Open All Hours, Only Fools and Horses. I love my TV, but not the rubbish they put out now. That's the reason I'm buying TV series, not watching them on TV. For the Simpsons fans we could have a marathon night that would be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes Cheers, the Cosby show, MASH in its first season (but c'mon 4 decades later and its still running) I did like the quirkyness of Alley McBeal coupled with the music of Vonda Shepherd. I think I still have the CD.
    Of course there was Star Trek (the early series has dated to laughable. I would expect that Lost in Space would be the same. But loved the remakes). Star Trek the next generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager.
    This year I have watched "Robin Hood" Its on Sunday mornings so I have to record it. But its funny, well acted and has a good story line. There is death by sword and bow but you will never see any blood. Odd that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been watching King of Queens lately. I am now the proud owner of Seasons 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, so I'm just looking for the other ones. I know mum doesn't agree (aye Doug) but all I can say is CRACK UP.

    ReplyDelete