Friday, 15 April 2011

SHOULD I BE OFFENDED?

I did something the other day and Jason said 'That is such a Mihi Strother thing to say'. I thought to myself, should be offended or laugh? Let me explain. We have a glass conservatory connected to the house. For MONTHS I have been asking Jason to help me clean it. You may not notice but if you look up close it was covered in mould. I really wanted it to be clean before winter and before baby came. Jason's solution was to pay someone to clean it, whereas I thought I have a perfectly capable husband who can do it for FREE! So last weekend Jason couldn't say no to his grumpy pregnant wife anymore and we decided to clean it. All up it took us about 5 hours! Yes it was a very thorough clean and Jason even mopped the ceiling as best he could with disinfectant. Even though I was a bit sore afterwards I was very happy to get the job done. I said 'Now I would be happy if we paid someone else to come clean it from now on'. That is when Jason said 'That is such a Mihi Strother thing to say'. I know what he was meaning. He was thinking I was too embarrassed to have someone clean the conservatory because it had been neglected for so long (the water was black when we were cleaning people). So now I would let someone clean it, now that it was already cleaned. But actually my reasoning was that I wanted to do a really good job of it myself first so that I knew it was properly cleaned, then any cleaning from now on would just be to keep on top of it. So now it won't be a big job for someone else to do and probably not as expensive. It wasn't because I was embarassed for someone to see our dirty conservatory! Plus how would Jason know that would be something Grandma would say, he only knew her for a few years, not like the rest of us. So do you guys agree or disagree that I have a little bit of Mihi Strother in me??? And should I be offended or just laugh!

5 comments:

  1. You make him work for 5 hours cleaning at home on the weekend after a stressful week at ACC and now you're offended because he's comparing you to Grandma Strother? First, you should be happy he helped out (because most husbands wouldn't), and second you should take it as a complement. Nothing wrong with being like Grandma Strother, unless of course you cut donuts and chicken pieces in half at a Strother potluck thus taking away the pleasure of eating a whole donut or piece of chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LAUGH! that's funny. I do remember Grandma cutting up donuts. She even halved lollies when dishing them out to the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina used to hate it when she cut the donuts in half afterall they are no longer a donut once they are cut up. I do like mamas donuts in temple view but I still think Ninas are better oh and courtesy of the matenga family donut recipe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Depends - if I were to agree with Jasons reason "Yes the strother history is replete with such Mihi examples"

    But if I were to agree with your reason "Its a Douglas H Strother moment!!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. So Mihi moments: When we used to gather the extended familty Grandma used to try and get the littlies walking around with trays of drinks handing them out to the adults, 'cos it looked nice?

    I used to take the drinks off the Emilys and Bowans and say "If the adults want a drink they can get it their belly selves!!! That used to annoy Grandma but I was sure that Ken, Warren, Lynette and Uncle Mark didn't want their drinks and chips being brought to them. I'm pretty sure!!!

    ReplyDelete